Monday, May 23, 2011

Track & Field....and Growing up

Today was Track & Field day at Gracie's school.  The littles (that is what I frequently call Cody and Hannah) and I joined Gracie and her class this morning for a day full of fun!  The first activity was tug of war.  I have never experienced tug of war, myself.  I wish I was a kid again so I could! It looked like so much fun!
Their 2nd event was the 100 M dash.  The kids didn't really understand that they had to stay in their lane of the track.  I believe Gracie and the little girl running next to her traded lanes 3 times in their trip down.  After that, the kids did the long jump.  This was a little funny, as Gracie forgot to jump the first time.  Maybe not forgot, but didn't know that was how she was supposed to do it.  She did good the 2nd time around!


Cody was able to partake in some of the action as well!  He ran the 50 M dash with Gracie.  And he ran it well, right along side Sissy!  I just love how he uses his tongue to show his determination.   He gets that from his Papa Lamb!  He also participated in the softball throw.


Gracie really had a blast!  This was pretty much the last school event for the first grade for her!  And it makes me sad.  We still have awards day to look forward to on Thursday, but as of 1:00 pm that day, first grade will be over.  It's so bittersweet to be a parent. I am beyond proud of all of my kids' accomplishments. I'm proud of them just for being good kids!  They don't have to do anything special to make me happy.  They just have to be themselves. 

I am a pretty sentimental person, especially when it comes to my kiddos.  Saying goodbye to first grade, and saying goodbye to Gracie's most awesome teacher is harder than it should be for me.  I wish she could stay this age forever.  Though, I do know this fall, as she starts school as a 2nd grader, (A 2nd grader?!?! That sounds so OLD!)  I will have just as much to be proud of and look forward to as I did this year.  I just wish we could do it all without them growing up on us!

No comments:

Post a Comment